Monday, January 18, 2010

Joy Lessons

Here are a few things I've learned lately that help make life a little more fun.

1.Popcorn really isn't that hard to make in a pot on the stove, and it tastes so much better than the microwave kind. It even tastes good the next day. Besides, hearing the kernels pop and ricochet off the sides and lid of the pan until the pot is full is so satisfying.

2. Junior high kids still intimidate me when I help out with youth group, but their honesty is refreshing. Besides, hanging out with them is good because they need acceptance and healthy attention.

3. Wearing crazy sweaters helps with cabin fever. Someone just gave me one that is made of variegated black, lime green, white, sparkly yarn. It fastens in the middle with one big, black button. I wouldn't have chosen it, but it's a fun sweater and makes me feel energetic.

4. Make someone else's day, and your own, by visiting a friend. Yes, everyone is busy, and there really isn't time. So plan to eat dinner together; everyone needs to eat. My husband and I recently had dinner with his grandparents and lunch with mine. Tonight we are bringing pizza and eating with his cousin and his cousin's girlfriend. She's making salad and dessert, and we'll watch a movie. I can't wait! Make time for people.

5. Help someone by watching their kids. A couple I know wanted to attend a 10 week marriage study. Turns out it is on a night that I am free. I watched their kids for the first time this week. This is good for me because it gives me practice caring for young children (in this case, bedtime routine). This is good for the parents because they get to have some quality time together. So everyone is happy. Plus they let my sister come to keep me company. When she arrived the children were in bed. She and got to chill and watch 500 days of Summer.

1 comment:

  1. I've never made popcorn on a stove, but I've been wanting to try--I'm sure it makes a difference! lol--I'm sure you get cabin fever, you are so energetic it would be hard to contain yourself for too long! and yay for junior high kids! Somebody has to love them, and it seems people either love them or hate them--but I think they're fun, if just rather hyper...One of my new year 'resolutions' was to visit more with my girlfriends from high school, we got together earlier this month and it was great! You are so right about spending time with people.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading & responding!