Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Of Rain

The sound of rain resounds off the stones outside my window. I enjoy listening to the rain, especially when I am inside eating soup, which is what I am doing now. The sound of rain is also calming in the evening when I am cozy in bed. An occasional rainy day is cleansing, like the release of emotions when a generally happy person has a down day. Besides, "April showers bring May flowers." We sang songs about rain when I attended the Governor's Institute on the Arts one summer. "Cool rain, cool rain, beautiful rain, don't disturb me, beautiful rain." I wonder about the phrase, "don't disturb me." If the rain is beautiful, why are we asking that it not disturb us? Several poets have been inspired by rain. Here are rain poems by well known poets. I wrote a poem inspired by rain the summer I worked at a camp as a nanny for the directors' children. I was on break but didn't have much time. My boyfriend and I went for a ride. We parked just off the road because of the pouring rain. We didn't talk much because we were both in strange moods. I had my walkie-talkie with me so we would hear occasional snippets of voices, even though were in the next town. A poem began forming in my mind, so I wrote it down while we sat in the car, surrounded by rain.

1 comment:

  1. So pretty! I love the sound of rain...when it's raining, I open my window and sit by it to listen to the sound...and...that's a really pretty picture of you (in your profile I mean!). ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading & responding!