Friday, March 12, 2010

Reading for Enjoyment

A running list of recent reads . . .

A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver
Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas (this is what I want my marriage to look like)
The Maples Stories by John Updike (this is what I don't want my marriage to look like)
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
Shosha by Isaac Bashevis Singer (reminds me of Chaim Potok, but more modern)
Saturday by Ian McEwan (the first novel of his I read, recommended in The Happiness Project)
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (I enjoyed his writing so much, I tried another one of his novels; this is a cautionary tale, very well-written but sobering)
Year of Wonders, a Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks (loosely based on the story of the village of Eyam, England in 1666. Good reading, sad & disturbing, yet celebrates life)
Pass the Polenta by Teresa Lust (Essays on how food connects us with people, a subject close to my Italian heart)

In process . . .

Insecurity, You've Been a Bad Friend to Us by Beth Moore
The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

Want to read . . .

Grace Walk by Steve Mcfay

2 comments:

  1. I like Sacred Marriage, and Beth Moore is always good! My mom has been reading the Insecurity book and has liked it so far! I should post a list of my recent and current books! Working at the library you get a lot of excuses to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would enjoy seeing your book list because I'd like some recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading & responding!