Be still my soul.
Lately I struggle to quiet myself to the place where I can write freely. I miss writing so much: the struggle, the satisfaction, the beauty of words, the feeling of pen on page. Writing is something I am compelled to do, but I haven't been setting aside time for it. I allow the busy-ness and stress of life to distract me. Instead of noticing sources of inspiration all around me, I feel drained of creativity.
No! I will not give up.
Here are pieces of advice for myself. Observe: wherever I am, whatever I am doing, there are details, people and events to watch. Take notes: buy a few small notebooks and scatter them throughout where I live my life (car, kitchen, purse, work desk). That way when an interesting thought pops up, or I notice something of interest, I can write it down. Read: Reading well-written books promotes my own creativity and heightens my attention to detail. Go for walks: walking has long been the way I shake off cobwebs from my brain! Often I get new ideas while walking. Try writing prompts: Maybe I can find a book or website of writing prompts and try doing at least one a week. Set aside time for writing: Hmm . . . just before bed? Sunday evenings?
I know how to give myself advice, but do I know how to take it?
aww! I know just how you feel! I always regret how little I play the piano these days. I've been trying to play a bit every day, or at least a few times a week, and also sing. I need time for music...
ReplyDeleteYour advice sounds good! I hope you find time to write more ^_^
Thank you! My advice to self has been helping some, but making time for writing will be an ongoing struggle.
ReplyDelete