Wednesday, February 3, 2010

That was Interesting . . .

I received a call today from a lady who sounded like a machine. In fact, she introduced herself as a number. She talked in clipped, hollow tones, void of emotion. She explained that she was an operator who would read to me the messages typed by the real caller, then I was supposed to slowly answer, while she typed my words for the caller. I wasn't sure if the actual caller was deaf or didn't speak English. Either way, this was exciting! A phone call through an interpreter.

I wasn't sure of the caller's last name, so I asked the operator to repeat it. She asked me not to interrupt when it wasn't my turn. When it was my turn, I explained that I was asking her, not the caller. "I am not allowed to engage in conversation," she said. But then she went on to confirm the last name, spelling it out complete with words for each letter. I thanked her.

The caller asked her question, I answered, and she replied that she understood. So that was that. I wonder how people learn to talk like machines. Those operators must transmit some interesting conversations. And probably a lot of boring ones. All while remaining passionless and efficient. I don't think I would like that job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading & responding!